TYMA Neuro Consultants Ltd offers a range of neurosurgical, spinal and medicolegal services through its leading consultant neurosurgeon, Yahia Al-Tamimi. Mr Al-Tamimi completed his medical training in 2002 and graduated with honours from the University of Leeds. He gained membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England following training in Preston and Cambridge. He was subsequently placed onto a post-graduate neurosurgical training program in Leeds General Infirmary and gained entry to the specialist register for Neurosurgery in 2013. He subsequently completed a fellowship in skull base neurosurgery in Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust. He was appointed as a consultant in skull base and oncology neurosurgery at Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (STH) in December 2014 and is now the cancer site lead clinician in neuro-oncology, skull base and pituitary services at STH.
His academic interest stems from an intercalated BSc in Pharmacology and he has subsequently gained an MD for conducting a randomised controlled trial in subarachnoid haemorrhage. Other academic areas of interest include research in gliomas and inflammation. He has published 23 articles in peer-reviewed and international journals and has presented on 33 occasions at national and international conferences.
1. Al-Tamimi YZ, Palin MS, Patankar T, MacMullen-Price J, O’Hara DJ, Loughrey C, Chakrabarty A, Ismail A, Roberts P, Duffau H, Goodden JR, Chumas PD. Low-grade glioma with foci of early transformation does not necessarily require adjuvant therapy following radical resection. World Neurosurgery 2018; 110:e346-e354.
2. Al-Tamimi YZ. Management of poor grade subarachnoid haemorrhage: a self-fulfilling prophecy of good outcome? European Journal of Neurology 2017; 24(1): 3-4.
3. Al-Tamimi YZ, Sinha P, Chumas PD, Crimmins D, Drake J, Kestle J, Hayward R, Solanki G, Thomson S, Thorne J. Ventriculoperitoneal shunt 30-day failure rate: an international cohort study. Neurosurgery 2014; 74(1): 29-34.
4. Al-Tamimi YZ, Guilfoyle M, Seeley H, Laing RJ. Measurement of long-term outcome in patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy treated surgically. European Spine Journal 2013, 22:2552-2557.
5. Al-Tamimi YZ, Bhargava D, Hall G, Feltbower R, Goddard AJP, Quinn AC,
Ross SA. Lumbar drainage of cerebrospinal fluid following aneurysmal
subarachnoid haemorrhage: A prospective, randomised and controlled trial
(LUMAS). Stroke 2012,
Mr Yahia Al-Tamimi MD MBChB(Hons) BSc(Hons) FRCS(Neuro.Surg.)
Cancer site lead clinician for neuro-oncology, skull base and pituitary services, Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Phase lead University of Sheffield School of Medicine/Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust